Julien was the one to ask when it was just to two of us sailing, he says: “if I fall in now, what do you do?” …um, call the police? Throw you a buoy? Do we have a buoy? Where is the buoy? … PANIC! So, I do nothing, I have no idea what to do. So I called together the kings of safety, the project group that devotes their time to just that!
Violette, Romain R, Sixtine and Romain LG took me to sea to teach me how to recover a man overboard. Before anyone sacrificed themselves, we practised using a fender tied to a horseshoe buoy. And lucky we did!
They taught me the basic rules:
- First, don't take your eyes off the person;
- next, ease (=release) the sails;
- then use the boat to draw a circle around the person in the water;
- get in place to recover the person in the water on your stomach;
- and finally, have a rope to throw to them.